This Patti Labelle sweet potato pie recipe will aid you in getting the out-of-the-world taste of that infamous pie. Following the recipe, you can recreate this old fashioned sweet potato pie in your own kitchen.
- ½ cup vegetable shortening, cold and solid
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour, lightly sifted
- ⅓ cup water, ice cold
- ½ teaspoon salt for flavor
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ¼ cup half-and-half
- 7 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ¾ ground cinnamon
- Grated nutmeg, use lightly because the flavor can be overpowering
- A pinch of salt
- Combine flour, salt, and cold shortening then mix until it forms crumbly mixture. Be careful not to take too much direct contact with it or shortening will melt.
- Slowly stir in cold water into the mixture until it forms dough. Place it inside a bowl, cover, and then chill for at least an hour.
- Lightly dust a flat surface with flour the roll the chilled dough to a 13 inch circle.
- Move the dough to a baking dish. Cut parts that are hanging over the tray then tuck outer part inside. Chill pie crust for an hour.
- Boil sweet potatoes in lightly salted water over medium heat until soft.
- Break down boiled potatoes until smooth in a bowl or food processor. This Patti Labelle sweet potato pie recipe only calls for three scoops of mashed sweet potatoes; the remaining mush can be refrigerated.
- Add two sugars, spices, half-and-half, eggs, and melted butter into sweet potatoes mush. Mix thoroughly.
- Preheat an oven at 400ºF.
- Take out chilled pie crust then coat it lightly with melted butter. Sprinkled brown sugar then bake for 15 minutes and let the crust rest.
- Pour filling into crust then put the pie inside oven. Lower the oven’s temperature to 350ºF and bake it for around an hour to an hour and half.
- Once done, take it out from the oven and let it cool at room temperature.
You can get creative with the recipe and create Patti Labelle sweet potato pecan pie if you want. This Patti Labelle sweet potato pie recipe is flawless.